Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jesus the Great High Priest

I have been studying Hebrews of late with my friend Nancy in Hoping for Something Better. These words from Shai Linne have constantly been on my brain as I ponder the weightiness of Christ's "once for all" sacrifice (Heb. 7:27). Take a moment to listen and read the lyrics below, then praise God for His Hesed.

-Christy



Jesus the Great High Priest

14 Since then we have da great high priest ewho has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, flet us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest gwho is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been dtempted as we are,hyet without sin. 16 iLet us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

(Hebrews 4:14-16 ESV)

High Priest
Written by s. linne


Verse 1
There’s commotion in my brain, strange is the notion
Words cannot explain my range of emotion
I’m speechless, my flaws exposed and my weakness
Each breath draws me closer to a deep test
It’s month number seven, it’s been ten days
I’ve been awake all night reflecting on my ways
A threat to my peace in this greatest of moments
Because I’m the High Priest and it’s the Day of Atonement
The LORD is so holy and perfect, I’m nervous
I’m floored that He chose me to worship through service
Don’t ask me why the God who crafted the sky
Drafted this weak guy from the clan of Levi
Preceding generation taught me to read the regulations
Deep meditation on decreed revelation
Extreme trepidation breeds hesitation
Yet I must lead and be the representation
My occupation- to intercede for the nation
But indeed my own sins need expiation
The wrath of Jehovah’s grim, sin is no joke to Him
The hope is slim for unholy men coming close to Him
He’s spoken in His Word
the proper way of approach to Him
Nadab and Abihu got it wrong and He roasted them
These things I weigh as I sigh
This could either be the greatest day of my life
or the day that I die!


Chorus
So you say that you wanna know the LORD?
Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?
Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?
God is an all-consuming fire


So you say that you wanna know the LORD
Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?
Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?
Be careful what you desire


Verse 2
For now, no time to focus on my sinning
I bathe in the laver though it seems extreme
I put on the holy coat made of white linen
Craving His favor- I’m ceremonially clean
I check to inspect- no tangible faltering
Next I must collect the animals for the offering
A spotless ram and a bull- the components
God gives to make atonement for my own sins
This part of the ritual makes me real cautious
Because the very sight of blood makes me feel nauseous
Still I proceed by snatching him close, slashing his throat
When his blood splashed on my coat
Reacting, I choke- gasping that’s when I’m grasping
God’s reaction that sin provokes
I take a moment to reflect on the blood spilled in this
Staring at the goat to be sent into the wilderness
I’ll confess Israel’s sins with my hands on his head
Symbolizing guilt transferred instead
To a substitute the living God provided and stamped
Guilty of our sin, driven outside the camp
This beautiful picture of hope and grace motivates
And I don’t want my fear to make this
Dope occasion go to waste
Change my outer garments, slow my pace- yo I brace
Myself to stand before Jehovah’s face in the Holy Place
Chorus
So you say that you wanna know the LORD?
Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?
Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?
God is an all-consuming fire

So you say that you wanna know the LORD
Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?
Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?
Be careful what you desire

Verse 3
The time has come, the great moment has arrived
About to enter in- what a lonely enterprise
Look at the other priests, they speak only with their eyes
Rope tied around my ankle just in case I don’t survive
I enter through the first curtain to a dark room
I’m standing in the Holy Place, my thoughts consumed
I’m caught off guard, I’m unraveling at this stage
My heartbeat so hard it’s rattling my ribcage
Feeling like I’m disintegrating and I can’t stand
Comforted by the light emanating from the lampstand
This helps my vision- I can see the showbread
I think of God’s provision, that helps me go ahead
I need courage to worship! Man, this is intense
I take burning coals off the altar for the incense
The sweet aroma fills the room
The smoke protects my eyes-
one sight of Jehovah seals my doom
It’s no mere coincidence I’m here surrendering
With fear and trembling I’m nearly entering
I feel like running scared, hoping I’m not unprepared
Stunned with fear- no one comes in here but once a year
Nevertheless I’m at the point of no return
Besides, I don’t want my anointing to be spurned
After counting to three, next time I inhale
I’m in the Holy of Holies beyond the veil!
The first thing I realize is I’m thrilled that I’ve
Entered into God’s presence and yet I’m still alive
I’m awestruck by the weight of His terrible beauty
It’s almost unbearable but I must fulfill my duty
Approach the ark, the first part of my work’s complete
When I sprinkle blood seven times on the mercy seat
Quickly I exit, impressed with the Hesed
that rescues the wretched and left us accepted!

HESED= "The consistent, ever-faithful, relentless,
constantly-pursuing, lavish, extravagant, unrestrained,
furious love of our Faithful God!" (www.hesed.com)

1 comment:

  1. What?! I know I don't even have that book that you are doing, but I'm totally reading through Hebrews. I read it once and I was like "Okay I need to do that again" and I was just thinking about Jesus Christ as the GREAT High Priest like these last two days! Crazy! I love verse 19 & 20 in chapter 6 "We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forefunner on our behalf, having become a high priest after the order of Melchizedek." LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete