Friday, March 19, 2010

Four Books - Six Months

I have been influenced greatly by the writings and journals of men whose bodies are six feet deep. Men who have gone to be the with the Lord but left a legacy of edifying work to be gleaned from by the minds of those who yearn for Godliness. Men such as Jonathan Edwards, John Owen, Thomas Watson, and Spurgeon had a knack for beautifully painting a picture of the Gospel in their lives and writings. Their penned truths often give me potent affections that last throughout the day. I was first introduced to Puritan writing a couple of years ago by the book Sin and Temptation by John Owen. I might as well of dipped that book in highlighter ink after I was finished with it.


Why have these writings affected me so dramatically? I'm not sure. In school, I never read an assigned book from start to finish. I couldn't even finish a thought about reading a book let alone sit down and actually flip the pages. Now I urge others to pick up great books that will incite you to open up your Bible more.
Currently, I am working through Perspectives and trying to finish Future Grace by Piper before we leave (highly recommend, it may be the best book on faith I've ever read).

-G

I decided to take four books with me for the next six months that I hope to be able to dig into and master.




1) The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative - Christopher J.H. Wright






2) A Body of Divinity - Thomas Watson





3) War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles - Paul David Tripp






4) Discovering Church Planting: An Introduction to the Whats, Whys, And Hows of Global Church Planting - J.D. Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment