Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Christy's 2010 Reading List

Okay guys, since everyone has been asking me which books I'm going to read this year (I'm trying to sound like a prominent blogger) and since I am procrastinating to begin our 2nd Newsletter (you all better read those because they are a lot of work!), here is my tentative book list.
Really, these are just the books that I own that I still need to read, hopefully I will read more than 12ish books this year, although I'm not too sure how to do that in Brazil (especially because Giulian is going to hog all of our suitcase space with his giant shoes and Study Bible). Right now I'm finishing up Finally Alive, one of John Piper's latest and I am definitely being challenged by it.

Here they are in no particular order-
1. The Magicians Nephew (Bk 1-Chronicles of Narnia) - C.S. Lewis
2. Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster
3. Death by Love - Mark Driscoll
4. Desiring God - John Piper
5. Sheperding a Child's Heart - Tedd Tripp
6. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Bk 2-Narnia) - C.S. Lewis
7. Basic Christianity - John Stott
8. The Mark of the Christian - Francis Schaeffer
9. God, Marriage, & Family (certain parts b/c it's a monster) - Andreas Kostenberger
10. The Cost of Discipleship - Deitrich Bonhoeffer
11. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis
12. Hoping for Something Better - Nancy Guthrie

And I must tell you all a cool little story about number 12. Giulian and I went to Half Price Books (for those of you who are wondering, it's a used book store with awesome prices) on Black Friday in order to get a tote bag, $5 gift card for the day, and a free calendar. As we were standing in the check-out line with our loot, Giulian told me that he couldn't find my gift card. So I went frantically looking around the store for it only to find a $5 gift card on the floor that could only be used in January (bummer). But it turns out Giulian had hidden his own gift card in his pocket and had mine all along (he did apologize, since this is on record), and now we had this extra card I found on the floor! Well the other day we went to Half Price to redeem our little $5 prize, and I found this jewel, Hoping for Something Better in the clearance section for only $3.00!! Just the other day Wendy Alsup posted more than one blog post about how great it was, and I had added it to my Amazon wishlist thinking that maybe I'll get it one day (along with all of my other unfulfilled wishes). But there it was, waiting for me, and after the gift card I was able to get it for free! God totally blessed me with that! How has He blessed you this week?

As Giulian always says, "Peace,"
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment